Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Last D-Group

Every Monday night starting at 7:30 we have D-group. Again this stands for discipleship group. Our room leader, Graham, and the rest of our remaining roommates, Mark, Sean, and myself. Just meet, talk, read some scripture, get and give advice, and pray. To some of you this may seem weird, funny thing is it is what the Bible calls us to do. I personally do not know about you, but I believe every word that is in the scriptures and I truly take to heart the guidelines and specifications that are in the Bible. I truly try to apply them to my life, and make them applicable to my daily walk with Christ. One of them that is huge is discipleship, and not a whole lot of Christians do this. Many of us like to stay in our little Christian nut shell, our perfect little life, we talk with other "Christians" at church on Sunday, and that is enough. If that is your attitude, you are wrong. Not only do you need to be meeting with other Christians daily, you need to be sharing the Gospel and adding members to the body of Christ. The verses of focus yesterday were Ephesians 4:11-13. This is not in them, but even Jesus had disciples. Now if we are called to be Christ like then in all aspects of our life should be like His. He had 12 disciples and asked them to go out and share when he was no longer with them. To disciple other men, and get them to disciple other men. If they just stored what they learned, like many of us do everyday, and didn't share God's Gospel then you would have never heard it. Not only you but basically everyone. You might be saying to yourself, "well it isn't my job, or I don't want to others will, or I don't feel comfortable", then you are clearly wrong. We are all called to do this. One thing is for sure, it is extremely awkward and you will be made fun of and persecuted. Most all the 12 disciples were slaughtered for sharing Gods word, and again it did not stop them from eventually reaching you. We all have the most blessed gift, the information of God's Holy word right here at our finger tips. Legally allowed to read it and with no true persecution, sure you will be made fun of, big deal. Yet we have this most precious possession and we still don't share it. I'm not just talking to you, but also to myself, how sad is that? We know and yet don't do. And don't make excuses, we are all called from the creator Himself to share. It is not just for the apostles, prophets, evangelists, preachers, and so on who do the work of ministry. It is the people they equip (ALL OF US). Effective teachers help each believer find their own specific way of benefiting the rest of the church. Not only that, but if you allow Him, God equips us for the work of ministry for building up the Body of Christ (Read Ephesians 4:12). Read 2 Timothy 4:5, Ephesians 4:16,29.... I could list many others. It is our responsibility to tell others. It doesn't just stop there. This is where discipleship comes in. Whoever you share with, should not just stop with you sharing to them and walking away. You should now, to the best of your ability, help them along in their walk with Christ. I find it extremely imperative to get yourself involved in a D-Group. Whether you feel called to lead one, or would rather have someone further along than you lead the small group. I suggest to be in one first and then eventually lead, read Hebrews 5:14, take baby steps. A few last suggestions would be to keep the groups the same sex, meaning guys with guys and girls with girls. It is just better and you can get more personal. Just a small group anywhere from 3-7. This is not only something I was involved with before and during SBP 2010, but after and the rest of my life. I will hopefully lead one in Montgomery and also be in one. I find it, for me, a good idea to not only lead but also find counsel from more equipped knowledgeable people. Please pray that this happens when I go to Montgomery, and that I can start and also be in a D-Group. This will allow me to start my leadership role serving God and enable my walk with Christ to grow ever stronger.

Serving Him,
Daniel

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, Daniel!
    So true........we all need to be in Christian fellowship. I will pray that you find good fellowship when you get to Montgomery.
    I love you!
    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete